29.11.16

8 Minute Memoirs - Day Eighteen

Day 18 - "Drive Bys"


Okay, I'll get the most embarrassing type of drive by out in the open first.  Yes, I have driven by a boy's house that I liked merely for the joy of glancing at his place of residence.  And to see if his car was there.  And then to text him.  But only once.  And nowadays the place that he grew up still kind of haunts me because he haunts me.  So I don't drive by there.  And if I do, I look at the other side of the street.

The majority of my "drive bys" are sentimental looks at places that were once "mine."  If I'm ever on the south west outskirts of my home town, I can't help but take a creepily slow drive by the houses that used to belong to my neighbours.  As for the house that I grew up in, I don't think I can honestly call it a drive by because the speed resembles that of a crawling baby.  But for good reason!  The new owners have changed the place SO MUCH!  Instead of a simple pasture and yard surrounding a plain house, there is now the "nice" yard and a "play" yard, complete with a giant jungle gym.  Heck, they even planted some pretty big trees in this "play" yard which was once a section of the pasture.  As for the pasture, I don't think you can call it that anymore.  They've broken it up into so many smaller sections and corals that I pity the livestock they keep trapped in there.  They've built a bigger porch, a larger shed, and even erected one of those big spotlights most farms have to light up the yard.  It really isn't the place I grew up in anymore, but one can't help but drive slowly by and wonder if the bedroom I grew up in still has the painted black and white checkered floor.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment