14.7.19

Go Home Briggs

My heart has felt its yearly high from being surrounded by family at the annual 1st of July Gibb family reunion. There was homemade root beer, beef and beans, and just not even close to enough time to squish in all the visiting and time around my aunts and uncles and cousins as I wish there could be. I was still riding that high when my heart was suddenly broken early morning July 4th when I found out my cousin Briggs had been killed in a car accident. Tears instantly came to my eyes, and honestly, they seem to be making a appearance daily ever since.


I had the privilege of attending his funeral and being one of the many, many people who sat with tears in their eyes and sniffles in their noses as we tried to wrap our heads around this tragedy and mourn a truly great loss. Although we gathered in sorrow, I'm confident in saying that everyone parted feeling uplifted and strengthened by the words that were shared on Briggs' behalf. There was one story in particular that I can't stop thinking about and I hope I'm not out of line by sharing it here. My Uncle Larry, Briggs' grandfather, shared the following story in his talk.


"On the 1st of July in Hillspring we always have a big celebration. The small town will more than triple in size as family and friends return home. One of the activities is a family ball tournament. About the only contribution I could make for our team was to be a coach on third base. I still remember the first time i saw Briggs step up to bat. He connected with a ball that sailed way over the home run fence. As the ball bounced down the highway, Briggs jogged around the bases. He had a smile on his face as he passed me on third base. I was able to give him a high five and say, “Good job, Briggs." Another time at bat, he got a safe hit and ended up on first base. The next batter hit a ground ball that went out into the outfield. Before i knew it, Briggs was rounding second base and coming to third. He looked at me wondering what to do. I had a split second to decide, Do I send him home or do I hold him up at third? He had the ability and he had the speed. I held out my arm and pointed the way, and hollered, “Go home Briggs, go home!” He rounded third base with the speed of lightning. I could see the strength in his young body, I felt of his power as he raced by me and headed down that final stretch. He got home just seconds before the ball got there. I sighed a sigh of relief. There were family members there to congratulate him and welcome him. This whole scene seemed to unfold before me in slow motion. I felt myself getting choked up. Suddenly I had a desire to be with Briggs and the others. I wanted to congratulate him as well, but then the feeling came, No, I can’t abandon my post. I had work to do. There will be others coming my way that may need my help getting home. I must stay here, Briggs is safe. 

"I thought about this experience many times over the next few days and wondered why it had such a powerful impact on me. Then four days later the tragic news came and I knew that what I had experienced that day in real time was symbolic of what was to come. Briggs’ spirit has gone home now. He went far too fast for us. His strong young body will now be laid in the grave where it will rest until the day of the resurrection. Because of Christ’s power over death and his atoning sacrifice, this gift will come to each of us. The power that I felt as he raced around the bases will stay with him. He once helped his team win a championship game on a Saturday night where he was awarded Most Valuable Player and I was impressed. The next day I saw him perform his priesthood duties by blessing the emblems of the sacrament and I was thankful. This priesthood power that he holds will stay with him and prepare him for great and marvellous things. Briggs is safe at home. I know he was greeted and congratulated by many family members. His reward will be great, as it says, “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

"So that leaves us, you and I. As much as we want to be with Briggs, we can’t abandon our post. We have work here to do. There will be some come our way that will need our help in getting home. Our mission here is not yet finished. If you want to know what to do to see Briggs again, read his own words on the back of the funeral program. The choice is yours. You choose how you want the rest of your life to be. 


"I testify that God lives, that he leads and guide us through his living prophet, President Nelson. I know that Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world. That his atoning sacrifice can take away our grief and our sorrow and it is only through living the principles of the gospel that we can find the comfort and strength we need to get through the trials of life. May we cherish the memories and hold on to the spirit we have felt as we part and go our separate ways. And now, go home Briggs. Go home."


2 comments on "Go Home Briggs"
  1. Like your uncle Larry, you have a talent putting words together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I heard about this my heart sank. It's truly amazing how the eternities work. Heavenly Father can give the sweetest mercies before a loved one returns home, to prepare and to empower the ones feeling the greatest loss. The power of a persons testimony can bring so much peace. Thank you for sharing this. <3

    ReplyDelete