The Best Things That Have Ever Happened To Me: Part IV

4.17.2013

Once upon a time I was going to graduate in June 2013, which made July a really great time to have a baby.  So, I got pregnant.  But then, when we finally got to see the baby at the first ultrasound appointment, we learned it was very sick and would not make it full term.  And just like that, I was no longer pregnant.

* * * * *

How in the world does a girl believably say that having a miscarriage was one of the best things that has ever happened to her?  Three months ago I definitely would not have been able to, and I wouldn't have believed it myself.  Today I still might not be able to convince you that such a tragedy was a valuable experience, but the difference is that I now honestly feel that it was.

The story begins last fall.  I had only been married for a small handful of months, yet I couldn't deny the career path I was beginning to desire.  In fact, I wrote about it for a school assignment which I posted on my blog.  When I thought ahead to my graduation date in June I literally had no desire to begin the normal pursuit after a grown-up job.  So I took this as obviously meaning that I was ready to become a mother.

Before I knew it, all my plans were falling perfectly in to place, there was even a little positive sign on a stick to prove it.  And it was a breeze.  Sure, I felt a little more tired than usual in the evenings, but that was about it.  This pregnancy business was simple simon.

Soon enough, it was that exciting time of the first ultrasound.  But it didn't go as expected.  At all.  

I was suddenly in a bad mood as we sat in the waiting room.  Although we arrived on time, we didn't get called back until nearly an hour after when our appointment was supposed to begin.  The technician never said a single word to us until finally Jon asked her a question.  And most of all, that moving and wiggling grayish blob on the screen had a most unusual white bump coming off of its neck.

We knew something was wrong before we were even told.  

I refused to care.  Whatever.  It wasn't a big deal.  This happened to loads of women!  What made me think I was immune to a miscarriage?  At first it only hurt when people were giving me sympathy.  Then it hurt whenever I thought about it, such as scheduling all the appointments to come.  It hurt a little bit less when we found out what was wrong.  This baby was missing a chromosome.  It had Turner's Syndrome.  Then it started to hurt more when I realized all my dear sweet plans were changing; I wasn't going to graduate in June anymore since I needed to drop some classes.  At last, it hurt the very most when I finally grasped that my opportunity to become a mother was going to be postponed.

+

That last hurt was the very worst.  It ached and burned.  It kept me up at night.  And as my heart struggled to repair itself, I learned some valuable things about motherhood.  Some things that I needed to learn before I actually became a mother.

While growing up, I avoided babies and small children like the plague.  Truth be told, they scared me.  To combat my fear of babies, I kept a vast library of "dead baby" jokes memorized so I could laugh away any discomfort.  I was never asked to babysit and I liked it that way.  I figured motherhood was a hobby for women who couldn't figure out what career to pursue, or who simply needed an excuse to stay home all day.  It was never something I longed for or desperately awaited in my own life.  

After getting engaged, I grew to accept that motherhood would inevitably find its way into my life, but not for a long time.  After marrying and making plans for the future, I realized I had no desire to find a job upon graduating, so I figured it was time for motherhood.

I am grateful I had a miscarriage because now I can see how wrong I was in my thinking.  Motherhood is not something to do simply because you don't wish to start a career.  Motherhood is not something to do because you can't think of anything else to do either.  Motherhood is not something to do because everyone expects you to.  And lastly, Motherhood is not something to do because everyone else is doing it.

I'll admit my first pregnancy was just what I needed.  I needed to have something taken away from me so that I could know just how much I wanted it.  I needed to feel how much I wanted to become a mother, and I needed to want Motherhood for the right reasons.  I needed to learn and grow and develop the proper view on Motherhood, like the one this woman shares in one of the most beautiful articles I've ever read.  And lastly, after all my years of telling "dead baby" jokes, I guess it's only fair that a baby played a joke on me. 

12 comments :

  1. I loved that article! Thanks for the link. You are such an example of how to find the best in anything life throws at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You chose to terminate the pregnancy. That is NOT a miscarriage. Your blog used to be really enjoyable to read, but your complete lack of understanding between miscarriage and termination is sickening. You chose to end your childs life, you did not miscarry.
    The way you act as if you are one of millions who have a miscarriage is incredibly insulting to women who truly do have a miscarriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I actually felt sick when I read about abortion being justified in this blog.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. There is no justification, termination (abortion) was a CHOICE. It was not Gods doing, it was her choice. Its completely disgusting how carelessly she claims to have miscarried when in reality she couldnt handle the challenge God had given her so instead she had an abortion.

      Delete
    3. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. What RIGHT do you have to tell any woman that her choice to terminate a pregnancy is wrong? It's her body, her child, her family, and her life. Don't you think that having to wake up every morning and grieve for the loss of a child is enough penance to pay for that choice? No one - and I mean NO ONE - has any right to tell a woman what she can and can not do with her body and the life it is nourishing.
      "...she couldnt handle the challenge God had given her so instead she had an abortion." Where the hell do you get the idea that at any time, under ANY circumstances, that this is an acceptable thing to say to someone who has lost their baby? Regardless of whether it was a terminated pregnancy, abortion, or miscarriage, you have absolutely NO right to ever say this to a person. You have no idea how thoroughly disgusted and appalled I am by your lack of decency, respect, and empathy.
      To the writer, I hope that you choose to look beyond the petty comments of these Anonymous writers and instead hold your head high. Abortion, miscarriage, stillborn, it does not matter what title you give it. You lost the life of your child, and for that I extend my deepest and most sincere condolences. My heart goes out to you, your husband, your family and friends, and all of those who were just as excited as you were to welcome a new life to this world but were instead denied that opportunity.
      <3
      Jessie.

      Delete
    4. Jessie, I have no way of contacting you --- I just want to say thank you. I appreciate your kindness.

      Delete
  3. Hello Kristen:
    I wanted to tell you how much I love reading your blog - am I too old to read it?! I love your honesty and your open heart.
    I have actually told others (struggling with depression) to read your story. It's insightful and has helped others to not feel so alone! Thank you.
    I applaud your efforts. You are doing good in this world, one blog post at a time. For real.
    Kristin (Drew) Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin - I tried to find you on Facebook, but I couldn't!! Please forgive me for responding here, but I just want you to know how happy you made me. Thanks so much for sharing your kind words and passing on my story. I seriously look up to you so much - ever since you coached my soccer team :) I felt like the coolest kid in the world because I had the same name as you. And HECK NO - you are not too old to read stuff here. Are you crazy? Haha, hope life is treating you very well!!

      Delete
  4. I agree. Abortion is wrong, and as a Christian and a Latter Day Saint shouldn't you understand that? A miscarriage is completely different than what youre trying to justify and explain away in your blog. Maybe doing so helps you to sleep better at night but in the grand scheme of things what you did was wrong on so many levels. Yes, it was EASIER, but it was ABORTION.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness what is wrong with you people? I will never understand the need to anonymously write your horrible, judgemental opinions, which you KNOW will be hurtful. it is completely unnecessary, you don't know her, you have no idea what she is going through. Mind your own damn business!!

    You are amazing Kristen, I love you and your blog, you are an inspiration. I am sorry you had to go through this, and putting yourself out there is hard, especially with all the mean, stupid people out there. keep doing what you are doing, I know you are helping others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, you are incredible. I love how frank you are about your emotions and trials. I wish I could express myself as freely. I know you had to make a really hard choice, but I know that The Lord understands you're decision, as I'm sure you also know. When it comes time for you to be a mother to a baby on this earth you will be amazing at it. :)

    Love Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not my business, came here from Facebook, but I gotta say, you people are insanely judgmental. This girl had a huge trial in her life that she's obviously struggling with, and you come here to shame her, anonymously no less? Who made it your call what's right and what's wrong? You're EXACTLY what gives LDS people a bad name: backbiting, bickety people who love to criticize others while refusing to acknowledge their own wrongdoings. And for what it's worth, the Church has said that abortion is wrong except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother/baby's health is in jeopardy, and that in such cases mothers are counselled to seek advice from competent medical professionals, which she did. I'm not going to act like I know what's right here, because it's not my life. And guess what: it's not yours, either.
    To me, what these people wrote is worse than most internet bullying I've seen from high schoolers. Personally, I think Kristen shouldn't have blogged about something so private and intimate, but that's no excuse for you to come here and anonymously post these kind of disgusting remarks. You're hypocrites, and judgement falls much harsher on hypocrites than any sinners.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram