11.1.11

IN THE EYE.

Once upon a time, it was the end of the semester and all university and college students were preparing to go to battle against the upcoming final examinations.  Except one certain student, who was really bad at concentrating and managed to procrastinate and cram for every single final.  And that certain student was called GIBB-GIBB.



Yes, I am that student.  I am Gibb-Gibb.  And this is my story.  One night last December I should have been studying.  But instead I decided to watch a movie with my Aunt and Uncle.  The movie was 'LADYHAWKE', starring Matthew Broderick and Michelle Pfeiffer.  Ch-ch-check it out!


Funny thing is, I've sort of been thinking about this movie ever since.  Not because I have a secret crush on Matthew Broderick or because I secretly wish I could turn into a hawk.  It's because of the horse in the movie.  Whenever the knight would ride across the screen on his lusty stallion, which happened a lot, my Aunt Marge would exclaim, "Beautiful!  What a beautiful horse!  That horse is beautiful!  Look how it walks!"  I'll admit, the horse was pretty exquisite, it was black and trained to walk with its legs lifting really high like it was walking up an imaginary staircase, something like this...


... but was it BEAUTIFUL?

I'll admit, the horse and it's neat-o mincing walk would not have earned the title of 'beautiful' from me personally, but my Aunt Marge was so taken aback by this horse the only word she could describe it with was 'beautiful', which has left me thinking ever since.

I've come to one conclusion about the whole matter.  Some cliches are true.  Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.  Isn't that great?!  Beauty is subjective, which means it's measurement exists in the mind; it belongs to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought.  And since everyone has their own unique point of view and opinion, everything has it's own sense of beauty, it just depends on who is looking at it.

Call me a huge nerd, but I've been really excited by this discovery.  Don't you realize all that this means?!  It means you're beautiful.  It means I'm beautiful.  It means that everyone and everything is beautiful, they simply must find that beholder who only has eyes for them.  Can you imagine what would happen if everyone realized this about beauty?  How many girls would get eating disorders if they realized beauty wasn't only a size 0?  How many bullying situations would cease to exist if people realized one man's trash is another man's treasure?  How much heart ache would be cured if everyone realized they needed to be looking for the person who finds them beautiful, rather than changing who they are to fit in or follow the crowd?  

Knowledge really is power.  I feel invincible in knowing this.  Confucious sums it up quite nicely in saying, "Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."  My little beauty epiphany has in the end made me only love my most favorite poem in the whole entire world a little bit more.  I used to dream that someday someone would feel about me the way John Masefield expresses in his poem "Beauty", but now I know that someone WILL, because for every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.  So please enjoy my favorite poem.

BEAUTY

I have seen dawn and sunset on moors and windy hills
Coming in solemn beauty like slow old tunes of Spain:
I have seen the lady April bringing the daffodils,
Bringing the springing grass and the soft warm April rain.

I have heard the song of the blossoms and the old chant of the sea,
And seen strange lands from under the arched white sails of ships;
But the loveliest thing of beauty God ever has shown to me,
Are her voice, and her hair, and eyes, and the dear red curve of her lips.

-- John Masefield
3 comments on "IN THE EYE."
  1. Well, this is about the 6th time that you've absolutely made my day with your blogging. You are a BEAUTY KGibb. And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post my dear roomie!! Perfect epiphany!

    ps - I didn't know anyone else even knew Ladyhawk existed! It's a classic in the Leishman home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to leave a comment that I really like that movie! Haha. And great post! I must make it a part of my daily life.

    ReplyDelete