13.2.11

The best prize...

... is a SURPRISE!!!


And I'm not just talking about the cute little surprises that happen around your birthday or Christmas.  I'm talking about the REAL surprises that life throws at you.  The ones that almost knock you off your feet.  The ones that keep things interesting.  Because, let's face it, if we didn't have those kinds of surprises, life would be as exciting as counting all the tiny holes in a ceiling tile.

Don't believe me?  Think about it.  

I know I've thought about it.  Here's what I've come up with.

SURPRISES = STORIES.

As sure as 2+2=4, surprises = stories.  It's a fact.  Think back to the last good story you told someone.  It probably originated from a surprise twist in events, some surprising news, or a surprising discovery.  I know my best stories all originated from the s-word, take my last blog for example!  I sure didn't know my Dad was going to go through all of that, but now I have a great story to share because of it.  Great stories also come when you're on the giving end of the surprise too!  I love reminiscing about the time I tried to hitch hike looking like this ...



SURPRISES KEEP THE FUTURE BRIGHT.


Growing up, my little sister Hannah would love to tell us about her future.  She was going to marry some handsome young man, live in a tiny house and have five kids named Mae, Coda, Daisy, Mazy, and Bo (in that order).  She recited this fairy tale life so much that I still, to this day, have these horrendous names stuck in my head.  It's amazing how excited such a little fantasy could make her, and I'm sure many girls get butterflies just anticipating these surprises to come.  How lame would life be if we didn't have some sort of surprise to look forward to?  The kind of surprises that us girls really have limited control of?  Who's going to invite us to the upcoming dance?  Who's going to sweep us off our feet?  It's great to day dream about and it's great to experience things as they unfold, even the surprises which aren't expected, because ...

SURPRISES MAKE YOU STRONGER.

I like to think that the strength I've gained and the person I've become are because of the surprises I've experienced.  As I look back to who I was only 5 years ago, I'm pretty sure that if someone would have come and told me everything that these 5 years held in store for me, I would have spit right in their face.  It was a big surprise to quit school, work at Booster Juice, lifeguard at a fancy indoor pool, and finally find myself living in Calgary of all places, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  By embracing these surprises, I've come to realize my own strength and I'm ready to take on even more! 


EVEN BAD SURPRISES ARE GOOD. 

I got a flat tire on my way to church.  But because of that, I got to learn about the importance of accepting service and visit with an old friend as he kindly changed my tire for me.  I had all of my sheet music fall of the piano while playing a musical number for the ward choir.  But because of that, I now have a great story to laugh about, learned to not take myself so seriously, and now know to glue my flimsy papers to something sturdy like cardstock.  Me and my cousins flipped the quad when we were little.  But because of that, I learned how not to drive the quad, how bad landing in stubble hurts, and how fast Chase can bike across a field.  Even the unfortunate and despised surprises bring to pass much good.  Embrace it!  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dear Life,

Please continue to bring me surprises.  I love them all.

Sincerely,

Gibb-Gibb
2 comments on "The best prize..."
  1. Girl! No joke, I was going to write something along the lines of how life doesn't turn out how we expect tonight too!! Good thing I didn't because your words make so much more sense than mine. Thank-you for putting my thoughts into writing once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the order of the names wrong - it's "Mae, Coda, Mazy, Daisy, and Boe". hahhaha

    ReplyDelete