12.6.11

A Goal.

First off -



I really appreciated all the comments and advice I got after last weeks post.  In fact, I wrote them all in my journal.  It's so refreshing to get another persons perspective on a topic.  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On June 1, 2011, I set a goal.  So far I've carried it out completely.

On June 11, 2011, I was completely inspired by another person's goal.  

Ever hiked Bear's Hump?  You can't go to Waterton Lakes National Park without hiking it.  It's THE hike to do, probably because it is closest to the town site, only 1 km up, and boasts a spectacular view for such a short distance.  However, the 250 m climb in elevation makes Bear's Hump much more strenuous than imagined.  Which is why I decided to hike Bear's Hump everyday of the summer, with the exception of Sundays.  

Stairs and Switchbacks GALORE!!
But the view is SO worth it!
On Saturday I hurried up the "Hump", timing myself for the first time.  I was feeling pretty good about hiking it in 15 minutes, trying to catch my breath and wiping the sweat off my face, when a familiar voice said, "Kristen?"  Long story short, my ex-roomie and her family had climbed Bear's Hump with a certain family member in celebration of their birthday.  That certain family member happened to be her GRANDMOTHER.  And she happened to be celebrating her 90TH BIRTHDAY!  My ex-roomie's Grandma climbed Bear's Hump on her 90th birthday!

It seems like our culture and society has a predetermined course for a person's life to take and a collection of age-appropriate activities we have to follow.  I'm so grateful and inspired by amazing people, especially women, who choose to completely ignore the status quo.  Thank you Fontella Boehme, I meant it when I said you are my hero!
4 comments on "A Goal."
  1. awwwww!! I love this so much! It was such an awesome surprise to see you there! What a great day that was

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I have the best g-ma! :D Thanks for posting this Kristen! And wicked goal you have there! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite the goal you have! You are MY hero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I don't know you and you me.....but I have to THANK YOU for this post. My grandmother is an amazing woman and your words caused me to pause in reflection once again on how inspiring my grandma has been her whole life. Not only to me but to SO many others. Thank you. P.S. I totally feel that you being there that day to take part and to help out was no accident. ; )

    P.S. I have never been to Bear's Hump. It's now on MY goal list for sure.

    ReplyDelete