5.3.12

5. Move Your Body

I'm not going to lie, the fifth "Way to Happiness" has always come really easy to me.  It's not because I have some kind of super human form of self-discipline, it's because I genuinely just enjoy "moving my body."


And because I love exercise so much, I'm having a hard time writing a post about it without sounding like I'm bragging or preaching.  Which makes me sad because I feel like I have a lot to share, I just don't know how to do it.

I guess if I could only say ONE thing about "moving your body" it would be this:

The small things count the most.

I'm no fitness expert, but through all my years of physical activity I've come to realize that I'm happier and enjoy exercising more when I choose to focus more on "small things" and not overwhelm myself.  

When it comes to exercise, it's so easy to get in the mind frame of extremes.  For example:

"Oh man, I really pigged out all weekend, I'm going to have to work out REALLY HARD all week now."

"I think I want to try my first ever road race, I'm going to train SUPER HARD and run a marathon!"

"Shoot, summer's really creeping up on me!  I need to lose like TWENTY POUNDS before I put on a swim suit."

"I'm getting married soon, I need to be in the BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE!"

I believe it's this extreme outlook on exercise that has left most people with a hot and cold relationship with it.  But it doesn't have to be this way!  The way to exercise exuberance is much, much more simple.  All you need to do is start out small and then be sure to do it as often as you told yourself you would.  And by small, I mean small.

Today, I have a small routine that I believe counts the most in my entire fitness regime.  If I don't have time to go to the gym, I can still accomplish this tiny routine, even at my house.  All I do is spend 10 minutes each focussing on my Abs, Glutes/Legs, and Arms.  So all in all, its a short and sweet 30 minutes.  And I even sweat and feel good all over.

Honestly, if you want to create an exercise habit or develop a healthy relationship with the gym, don't start big.  You'll burn yourself out.  Start small enough that it almost seems too easy.  And then, soon enough, you'll be in the habit of "moving your body"!  And it will make you happy!!
1 comment on "5. Move Your Body"
  1. wishing i would have had this advice when i was about 15

    ReplyDelete