27.9.13

On Failing a Personality Test


I had to take a personality test for one of my classes this semester.  Before the teacher handed back our results, she went through each of the opposing categories and had us guess where we may have placed.  Long story short, I failed my personality test.  Or rather, I guessed only one out of four correctly.  It seems the only thing I know for sure about myself is that I'm an introvert.  Other than that, it's really just a shot in the dark.

Which has left me thinking.  Is personality really even something that can be tested?  It seems like my personality and preferences are in a constant state of flux and change between two opposing people:  the Kristen I grew up being and the Kristen I grew up to be, or am currently.

I know for a fact the Kristen I grew up being was extremely serious, driven by routine, probably seemed cold or detached, depended on organization, had little need for relationships, overly prudish, and so on.  And this was the Kristen I placed myself as before receiving the results.

As for the Kristen I grew up to be, she's really different.  Her personality has been shaped and moulded by a wide variety of life experiences.  She has compassion and patience for the weaknesses and shortcomings of others.  She's incredibly flexible, even spontaneous.  She's curious, she's idealistic, and she has a greater regard for the successes of others, rather than strictly the success of herself.  And this is the Kristen the test results reported.

So which category do I trust?  Is it possible to have two personality types?

The answer I seem to feel is that personality is a tricky thing to compartmentalize and it would be a great risk to the person I could become if I was to simply nestle into a certain category.

Possibly the answer is simply that personality adapts and I've simply adapted over time.  Neither personality is right or wrong.

What do you think?
17 comments on "On Failing a Personality Test"
  1. I think it is possible to have two personality types. Sometimes I feel that I have two. Sure you can change and grow and your personality adapts a bit, but when you see old friends or go home, don't you feel like your old personality comes shining through? I know whenever I see you I feel like nothing has changed. And I love that.
    p.s. your picture is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right, Hatchet. I guess what I feel the most is that my rough edges are being worn down, or that my personality is becoming more refined. All the good traits are still there. And I agree, when I see you I feel like nothing has changed. Except that you've had two kids ;) hehehe. Just kidding.

      Delete
  2. I think that unless you have no personality, it's impossible to fail, which is taking it very literally. I have recently had things come up which made me question my morals (which is part of my personality). Things that actually have made me say "I didn't growing up knowing things to be that way, Does that mean its wrong?"
    No, but that is how we define ourselves as people. We grow up knowing right and wrong as black and white, things are easy because we have voices telling us the way things should be, and possibly even who we should be. (You and I both have experienced that.) When we are let out into the world, we now perceive it to be a certain way, not the case. Personality is a scary thing, you are not a DIFFERENT person, you are a GROWING person. Which is good, if you weren't different now, there would be something seriously wrong.

    "I can't be the person I was yesterday, because I was a different person then" - Lewis Carroll

    (Slightly contradicts what I said, but the point still stands.)

    Good.... personality tests don't mean poop, we are never going to be the person we were yesterday. We were not meant to live that way, via our tests and trials. Nobody, including our good Lord wants us to be who we were yesterday. We will never learn or excel if we hold on and continue trying to be that person from yesterday.

    <3 Katee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THIS. Thanks for differentiating between the words "different" and "growing." That makes much more sense to me. And I love how you said, "we are never going to be the person we were yesterday." And now that I think about that, how boring would that be?! To be stuck as the same person, day in and day out. I'm now grateful that personality can be fluid.

      Delete
  3. I definitely don't think one is right or wrong. Some personality traits make for healthier relationships/lifestyles but, again, I don't know that that makes them right or wrong. The realization of a personality shift within yourself is so strange, isn't it? I think it takes some getting used to. I used to be incredibly shy which made people think I was snobby or stand-off-ish. I've grown out of it (mostly) and it's really weird and kind of uncomfortable to have people tell me I'm friendly and personable instead of intimidating now. It's like I don't fit into the mold I'd grown so accustomed to and had become comfortable with. I've come to understand that it's important to give yourself the freedom to change and develop, as well as others around you.
    Gorgeous picture, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another genius comment from Emme (I seriously love that I have a blog friend - you make me think so much and my blog wouldn't be the same without you). It is really weird to grow out of the mould you've grown accustomed too. I like how you bring up the word freedom -- I think the old Kristen wouldn't have been okay with giving herself freedom to change because she saw change as being such a bad thing.

      Delete
  4. I think we have many emotional layers inside and different potentials with some essential emotional backbone (maybe what people call character) and the different life circumstances and happenings brings up different aspects of our personality. I think it s our way to accomodate to different changes and to find the best way to acccept them and be some sort of emotional survivours. I also think it s nothing wrong and it s normal to grow and be more elastic toward life. Otherwise how we could be able to handle it? And yes, the photo is just gorgeous;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously can't believe that English isn't your native language! I LOVE the words you used to describe your thoughts. "Elastic toward life" - I think that could seriously be my new motto. There are things in a persons life that should remain concrete (like morals and standards), but personality, or how you react to life should totally be elastic in order to best survive. Again -- "emotional survivors." I love that as a description of the fluidity of personality.

      Delete
  5. I just had to comment and tell you how much I love your blog! Always makes me think and you word everything so nicely! I always love seeing that you have posted something new. Loved the first picture too! You are such a babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much! I don't think I've told you how much I love your photography and your blog as well!

      Delete
  6. First of all, gorgeous picture. And secondly, I love your thoughts. So true that we grow up to be different people as environment and change and experience forces us to adapt to how we respond and who we become. Well thought out. There have been many times where I wish I had the brain that I had in my early twenties because I cannot remember anything now. And I wasn't even that great before! Ha! Or sometimes I look back and pictures and think, "I had money to spend back then on clothes, so why didn't I choose better? Because now I don't have any and I have great taste!" Haha! I know those are simple (vain) things. But I think about them! Ha! Anywho, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you seriously made me laugh about how you have better taste in clothes now than you did when you were younger. I think I can relate to you on that. I cringe when I look at some of my outfits from high school.

      Delete
  7. I've taken a few professional grade personality tests and they are supposed to measure more about the type of worker you are and your personality mesh.. like for example me.. I am highly creative and doesn't like to be managed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touche! Now that you mention it, the test was for a business class at school. Haha, I just took it too literally.

      Delete
  8. As I read what you write in each your blogs, I am awed at how beautifully you write. So inspirational. Wish I could think as deep and beautiful as you!!

    ReplyDelete