28.8.15

Retirement

If everything goes according to plan, next Friday will be my official last day of work and I will be forever retired... at least until I'm done having kids.

Because I like to be secretive, I haven't really broadcasted the fact that I returned to work back in April.  I did so simply to work a quick 600 hours in order to qualify for another maternity leave.  It's been a tough 4+ months, but I did it!  I have huge respect for working single mothers/just any mother who is required to spend her days out of the home providing an income for her family.

I have to admit, this retirement is going to be a little bittersweet.  You see, I've essentially had the same job for the past 10 years.  My very first job at the sweet, young age of 16 was as a lifeguard.  Today I still work at a pool and I still have the same current certifications, instead, I'm now the BOSS.  And I'm 8 months pregnant with my second child.


I like to think I'm a pretty cool boss.  Did you ever have a boss that suggested having a photo shoot for fun?

To say I've loved being a lifeguard and working at a pool would be a complete understatement.  It's been my passion and I'm a little sad to be leaving it behind.  The funny thing is that had it not been for my mom I would have never become a lifeguard.  Once I finished my swimming lessons she just enrolled me in whatever the next courses were and before I knew it, I was a lifeguard.  I'm so grateful for her foresight; she did this because the best paying job in the small town I grew up in was as a lifeguard.  However, she may have cursed having helped me become a lifeguard when I was a young adult struggling to "launch" and always running back to the pool and failing to come up with a life plan.  Haha, and she probably cursed herself even more when I finally decided what to study in university and it was a degree in Sport & Recreation so that I could continue working at a pool... What can I say?  It was fate!

So I guess you could call this my ode to lifeguarding.  I have a soft spot in my heart for all the pools I've worked at: the old condemned Raymond Pool, the Raymond Aquatic Centre, Westside Recreation, and the Mount Royal Aquatic Centre.  I'm so grateful for all the friendships I was able to cultivate with lifeguarding co-workers.  I will always cherish the memories of crazy guard parties, "breaking" into the pool for midnight swims, teaching swimming lessons, playing pranks, and so on.  I'm so lucky to have found a job that I loved and I'm so grateful for all the awesome memories I'll have from these past 10 years.

Thanks Mom for helping me become a lifeguard!  Sorry if I stayed one longer than you were expecting ;)


















Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment