18.2.16

Sentimental

I read a sappy Valentine's Day article last week that has had me thinking that I want to write something similar.  It was really simple - the site just asked people to contribute their own stories of when they knew they had fallen in love with their significant other.  It made me wonder if I could pinpoint an exact moment when I knew I loved Jon.  If I had to, this would be it:

Back in the Fall of 2011, Jon and I had started round two of dating.  I can't remember why, but we made a trip down to visit my family around Halloween and on the way back to Calgary I made Jon stop at this abandoned house not far off a highway we had to take.


While we were poking around and exploring I had a crazy idea pop into my head.  Before I knew it, I was saying something like, "Yeah, this place might work.  There is plenty of room for the kids and I like the big kitchen."  As we continued to explore I kept playing along that we were some old married  couple looking at houses to buy and that this was the one.


While in the dilapidated shed next to the house: "Yup, this will work great as your garage and workshop."

Jon seemed rather quiet during the whole charade, but I later found out that he was in heaven just fantasizing about the whole thing.  He didn't want to jinx things or freak me out by playing along too much.

Even though I was saying those things as a joke, something about it just felt right.  Heck, the fact that I could even joke about something like that was huge because for the longest time I had been hardcore anti-marriage.


Fast forward a short two months later and we were engaged.  There was no question as to where we wanted to take our engagement pictures.  So on a cold and windy day in January we drove back to "our house."



We still like to make the occasional stop at "our house" when making the Calgary/Raymond drive.  To be honest, I'm pretty sure it'll always be "our house."



1 comment on "Sentimental"
  1. Oh my heck. I love this post. It is so romantic and sweet and I just freaking love it.

    ReplyDelete