10.10.10

Livin' The Dream

I have a friend named Dan.  Meet Dan.




He likes to grow facial hair, has a dog named Louis, and I just learned recently that he's getting married!!  Congrats to Dan!!


Anyways, the last time I was chatting with Dan, I started asking him what the plans are once he's hitched; like where they're going to live and so on.  He proceeded to narrate the general plans for the near future and then said something I'll never forget.


"...eventually we'll be living the dream."


What the HECK?!  That sounds as vague and retarded as the end of a fairy tale.  What kind of guy says something like that?


Fortunately, Dan sensed my cynical confusion and explained himself.


"Do you want to know what living the dream is?  Well, the dream is a hot Saturday afternoon.  I'm wearing a tool belt, working in the backyard of the house we just bought, building a deck.  I've been working for awhile and I'm starting to feel tired and sweaty. I look up and see my wife coming outside carrying a tray.  She's pregnant and wearing a yellow sundress.  On the tray is my lunch of fresh lemonade and bacon sandwiches."


OH!  So that's what the dream is!


I don't know why, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately. We all want to "live the dream", but do we even have a clue what it is exactly?  And even if we do know what it is, is the dream specific and realistic enough that it can actually be attained?  Another thing I've thought of too is how the dream changes.  Once you've lived one dream, you obviously imagine a new one to live for, right?


After much pondering and speculation, I think I figured out what it will be like to "live the dream" for myself.  Care to find out?


It's a cool Saturday night, the sun is slowly setting, and I'm sitting on the front porch of what I believe is my very own house.  I'm curled up in a blanket reading a book, it's probably poetry or philosophy of some sort, something that is really making me think.  Suddenly, someone comes out the front door, it's a boy.  He's probably my husband.  He's carrying two cups of hot chocolate and he sits right next to me and gives me one.  And then we talk.  We talk about what I'm reading, what I think about it, what he thinks about it, we talk about everything.  He's really smart.  Oh, and we're both really sore.  Cause we went on a long hike earlier that day.


How's that for specific, realistic, and attainable?  I can't wait to "live the dream".
1 comment on "Livin' The Dream"