14.11.10

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall...

"People want nothing but mirrors around them.  To reflect them while they're reflecting too ... Reflections of reflections and echoes of echoes.  No beginning and no end.  No center and no purpose." --- Dominque Francon from "The Fountainhead"


My most favorite item of home decor is hands down a big, beautiful mirror.  Besides adding a decorative touch, they aid in making the room seem brighter and more spacious.  I love mirrors.

My least favorite item of home decor is hands down a big, beautiful mirror.  Besides revealing and amplifying my blemishes and excess flesh, they aid in creating a society of self-conscious conformists.  I hate mirrors.

Mirrors really are a sweet catastrophe.  There is a good and evil to everything, is there not?

I will admit that for a while in my life, my highest highs and lowest lows were experienced staring into a mirror.  Although I am still not completely immune to negative reactions to my reflection, I have realized that mirrors do not reflect the most important part of yourself: your character.  However, I can confidently state that looking through the photoshopped pictures of a magazine and then at yourself in a mirror is hard on a girl! Is there really any surprise that this is a reality?


After beginning to resolve my own problems in the mirror and turning around to see the world, I have realized that the black hole of the reflection is everywhere.  It is called conformity.  It goes like this: you find a group of people you establish as equals and then you do everything in your power to dress like them, listen to the same music as them, and think the same thoughts as them.  Heaven forbid that you should stand out!!  With everyone doing everything in their power to imitate the reflection of their neighbor is there really any surprise that people suffer from depression?


Leave the mirror on the wall and let it do what it is good at, decorating a room.  Choose to stick it to the mirror, do exactly what it does not want you to do: be absolutely ecstatic with your reflection and then do everything in your power to be anything but a reflection.

"I don't wish to be the symbol of anything.  I'm only myself" ---Howard Roark from "The Fountainhead"
2 comments on "Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall..."