18.4.11

What I'd write...

I'll be honest.  I really didn't do very well on my challenge at all.  I didn't suddenly become way more outgoing, meet a perfect stranger and save the day like I was anticipating.  However, I'm glad to say I really did concentrate on how I made the people I came in contact with feel.  It's amazing how many little things exist that can completely change the way you come across.  The tone of your voice, body language, making eye contact, and simply smiling all really make a difference.  I think this little challenge I wrote about last week needs to be more of a lifestyle change, and it's one I'm willing to make.  I just need to use baby steps for now.  


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A month or so ago my uncle found a letter in the basement.  He opened it up and found it had been written by his son, my cousin Kevin, when he was 15 years old.  It was addressed to his future kids.



I never actually read the letter, but from what I heard it was written during a low time for poor young Kevin and he was simply offering his future kids the advice he needed right then.  I found it so tender that during his time of trial he wanted to write and console these future children he loved who didn't even exist yet.


Then it got me thinking.  What would I have to say in a letter like that?



After thinking about it and deciding on some points, I'm realizing it's all advice that I need most or that has helped me immensely.  In fact, I'm realizing it's advice most people my age probably need.  Here's what I came up with...

To Whom I Have Great Concern For:

You have no idea how relieved and happy your Grandma Gibb is that you exist.  I promise to never bombard you with requests for grandchildren of my own.  (Paha, just kidding mom...)

Did you know you matter?  You matter a lot.  People care about you.  You are important and cannot be replaced.  You are far from insignificant.  You have the infinite potential to become and do whatever you set your mind to.  You have the divine power to chose and to act.  You have been given a life of endless possibilities. I hope this makes you excited.  

Did you know you will make mistakes?  In fact, I hope you do and expect it.  Because from these mistakes you can rise from the dust greater than before.  But that is your choice.  It is completely up to you whether or not you move forward, remain where you are, or chose to slowly slide away from the destiny that awaits you.  By learning from and embracing the bitter, you can lengthen your stride and become closer to the sweetness life has to offer.  But like I said before, that is your choice.

Did you know you it's okay to love yourself?  It is perfectly fine to look in the mirror and like what you see.  It is also perfectly fine to recognize your strengths and to be grateful for them.  You have been blessed with a miraculous body that is the outlet to so many sources of joy.  Don't for one minute compare it, criticize it, or abuse it with ill thoughts, ignorant choices, or idleness. Please embrace who you are, inside and out.  Love yourself for all that you are.

Did you know you can expect success?  Do not waste your time and energy stewing over the worst case scenario or failing or messing up miserably.  Fill your mind with the success you want and fill your time with the work it requires.  Leave no room for self doubt in your mind.  Leave no time for wasting in your life.  You are as productive and capable as you allow yourself to think that you are.

Love Gibb-Gibb.


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment