23.11.11

The Little Things.

I once fancied myself a punk rocker.  Like back in grade 8.  I listened to cool bands like Simple Plan and wore a studded belt.  I'll admit straight up I was just copying whatever music Jessica and Tina were listening to.  Jessica introduced me to the glorious AquaBats and the first time I heard Good Charlotte was with Tina.

The other day when I was walking to my car after school, I suddenly remember the good old song "Little Things" by Good Charlotte.  What a great song.  So much angst and teenaged emotion.  So I started thinking about all the little things in my life.  However, as a happy-go-lucky twenty-something they were quite a bit different from the little things in the song.

If I was a punk rocker, the little things I'd be singing about would be something like this:


Chinooks.  The weather has been SO nice this week.  Who knew that a little wind from the west (okay, maybe it's not that little) could make the weather so nice in November!


Doubles on license plates.  They give me a reason to punch someone.  Just kidding, I'm not a violent person, but I love to start games with people and the license plate game is one of my favorite.  


Free parking just a stones throw away from school.  I refuse to pay money for a transient plot of pavement.  The streets of free parking help me get up earlier and give me a little bit of exercise each day.  What a sweet deal!


A cute little house so close to school.  I love where I live.  My roommates are a hoot too!  


Naps.  I haven't had one in a while.  But they're really great.  And I'm a huge creep --- Jon, I took a picture of you while you were sleeping.  Thanks.


Instagram and a phone with a camera.  I suck at taking pictures.  But these two little things are really helping me out.  For example, I never would have stopped on a walk to take a picture of this little saying on the sidewalk, but because it's now so easy to just whip my phone out and then put a spiffy filter on, I feel like a pro photographer.  

I find life just so much more interesting when I let the little things become exciting.  Sometimes you just need to take a second to think about what something as simple as a warm wind from the West does for your life.  Then you can do something crazy and choose to be grateful for it.  It might make each day a little better than the last.
1 comment on "The Little Things."
  1. Good times being a punkrocker. Oh how I regret grade 8. For people reading this, I was not the Tina in this story.

    I love these positive posts lately :) and cute boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete