6.11.11

Things I Learn In School.

I have been a student for over 15 years of my life.  Long story short, I really like school.  I love to learn, I don't mind studying, and writing papers can even be sort of fun.

Right now I am a university student enrolled in the Bachelor of Business & Entrepreneurship - Sport & Recreation program at Mount Royal University.  I love this program and I love Mount Royal.  


My faculty at Mount Royal is phenomenal.  One of my teachers is the current President of the Canadian Paralympic Committee.  He is so well known and affiliated with everyone in the sport and recreation community that all of us students practically worship him.  Because of him, our classes are littered with guest lecturers; last year we had the privilege of hearing from Patrick Jarvis, a member of the International Olympic Committee.  

A month ago, this amazing teacher of mine was asked to provide three student volunteers to act as recorders at the Canadian National Recreation Summit.  I was fortunate enough to receive his invitation and got to spend four days in the beautiful Lake Louise surrounded by the most intelligent and influential people in my field of study.  There I was required to attend all the speakers, panels, and discussion workshops, where it was my duty to viciously type down all the brilliant and innovative ideas these people had for the future of recreation in Canada.

Since this excellent milestone in my career as a student it feels as if I have learned more in the past few weeks than I have in my entire life.  Allow me to share some of these lessons with you:

1.  The table I want a chair at.
On the first day of the Summit there was an orientation meeting for all the student recorders, discussion workshop facilitators, and Summit planners and organizers.  Like all formal meetings, this one started with introductions.  I was astounded as everyone listed their accomplishments, credentials, and passions.  Hands down I was the smallest and most insignificant person in the room.  Having grown up in a small town and only accomplished two years of my degree I literally had the least to bring to the table.  Surrounding me were grad students, researchers, presidents of organizations, quite literally the best of the best.  I realized that each seat at that table cost a lot to sit at.  It cost years of school.  Hours of networking.  Pages and pages of dissertations, thesis', peer reviewed articles, and academic papers. And days, or probably months, maybe years of time literally spent dedicated and endeavouring in meetings and conferences to make their way to the top in the field of recreation.  Before I could even ask myself whether or not this was a price I wanted to pay, my mind was screaming, "NOOOOOOO!"  While sitting as a student at the table on the top of my future career I realized it's not the table I really want a chair at.  The table I want a chair at is crammed in the corner of a small apartment, doubling as extra counter space, where a young man and I will eat and study our scriptures.  The table I want a chair at is stained by spilled juice and crayons and has booster chairs pulled up to it.  The table I want a chair at will often have the leaf put in to seat neighbours, family, and friends at.  The table I want a chair at will be the hub of activity in "a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God." (D&C 88: 119)


2.  I'd rather blog.
On the last night of the Summit the student recorders were asked to meet together to discuss our observations and write a list of recommendations to present the delegates on the following morning.  This meeting could best be described as the sort of thing that happens in a chicken coop.  Every student was eager beyond belief to share everything they had to say.  Except one.  While everyone was verbally exploding to share their thoughts and make a mark in the proceedings of the Summit, I sat back staring at my watch, counting down the minutes until I could slip away from the cacophony to blog the night away.  I realized that although I may be studying recreation, it's not my biggest passion.  If someone would have told me a year ago how much I would come to love blogging, I would have laughed in their face.  I can't believe how much I love typing out my little epiphanies, whims, and thoughts.  I love learning from the comments people share with me.  I love getting to know and hearing from new people in the blogging community.  I love the kindness of people suggesting that I should write a book.  (What in the world would I write a book on?!)  Long story short, I love blogging more than school.  I'm more passionate about my daily learning and blogging endeavours than sport and recreation.  I just wish I could justify blogging over studying, but I'm just not quite there yet.  Remember, I am a huge nerd and school has always been my biggest passion, so I'm not used to this new discovery.


3.  A B in Stats isn't a B in life.
I wrote a stats midterm yesterday.  Yup, a midterm on a Saturday.  I prepared as much as I could.  I wrote out a lovely formula sheet.  I ate a good breakfast.  And as I wrote the test, I got stumped on a question and wasted all my time on it.  When the teacher told us we had only four minutes left, I realized I had skipped over a question.  Worth over 10 marks.  As I scrambled to finish it, I realized I probably wouldn't be getting the grade I expected or wanted.  My fears were confirmed just minutes ago.  I got a B.  If I would have got a B in High School, I would have cried.  Haha, I'm embarrassed, what a baby!  Fortunately, I've grown up some, gained some confidence, and learned enough about life to realize that the grades I get in school do not reflect the type of person I am or how well I am doing in life.  Don't get me wrong, school is important.  But I'm beginning to realize being happy with who you are, what you're doing, and where you're going is far more important.  Life isn't over when things don't go according to plan.  In fact, life gets better because you are given an opportunity to learn and grow.

Life lessons are the best lessons.  It's just an added bonus that I'm learning these lessons at school.
5 comments on "Things I Learn In School."
  1. Stats is the worst. I'm glad my letter grade in that class doesn't equal the letter grade of my life because I would have failed at life. It's also a good thing you can retake classes (which I did and I did much better with a different prof..funny how that is). So I say good job for getting a B on your test! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my classes and loved the field of recreation but my favorite class was family recreation. It got me really excited for my future family. Now, I would rather be at home fat and overdue making Clark meals, doing laundry, and getting ready for our baby than being the coordinator for summer games and working with ppl from provincial sport and rec organizations. That may not surprise anyone but not too long ago it would have surprised me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an awful person for wanting to encourage you to blog over studying. I just love your blogposts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kristin, you have a gift. it's not a silly hobby, it's a gift of writing and inspiring. and not only does it pleasure you, but it thrills and teaches others to look at these view points that you've discovered. girl, so many people make a life out of journaling, (blogging). they make money from it too. if you want some examples, let me know, i'll direct you to some blogs that have made great money from their words. it's quite doable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. here here! You do have a gift and I am always so delighted and excited when I see that you have posted and then race to read it. If you write a book I want my name on the waiting list now:) Love you sweety and your inspiring words - you really lift me up!

    ReplyDelete