13.11.11

Put The Pen Down.

Setting:  A large, open room in a community centre.  Folding chairs are arranged in a circle in the centre of the room.  Distant and uncomfortable looking people of all ages, genders, and backgrounds sit in these chairs.  They are wearing name tags.  A bold and confident group facilitator stands at the head of the circle.  

Group Facilitator:  Alright, let's get started here.  Welcome to your first Planners Anonymous meeting.  I'm sure we all know why we're here and what we would like to accomplish, so let's not waste any time.  I want to know about each one of you and why you are here seeking help with your planning addiction.  Let's start with you miss, tell us about yourself.

Kristen Gibb:  My name is Kristen Gibb and I am undeniably a chronic, insufferable and helpless PLANNER.  Yes, I have always been this way.  I am guilty of being the kid that would plan how the course of a game of House would unfold.  I am guilty of being the friend that would plan the events of an evening of "hanging out".  I am guilty of being the girl that would plan today, tomorrow, the next day, next month, next year, retirement and so on.  I am guilty of being a planner.  And I am here because I want help in stopping this madness.

Group Facilitator:  Thank you Kristen, I'm sure we can all relate to your sentiments.  Let us continue, sir, tell us about yourself....



Yes, I know there is no such thing as Planners Anonymous.  But there are times that I desperately need an intervention of this sort.  

Yes, I have diagnosed myself with Planner-itis if you will.

As a young girl, I loved to spend hours playing the magnificent game of MASH.  And to be honest, I still sometimes get a kick out of playing it.

As a teenager, I had the course and route of my entire college education mapped out before I had graduated high school.  And to be honest, I even started planning exactly what I wanted after college.

As a young adult, I introduced "the list" into my life, where I would plan each and every single day before going to bed, down to the details of exactly what I would, how much I would drink, how I would exercise, and so on.  And to be honest, the list still makes a debut every so often.

The good news is that I recognize this is a weakness.  And I'm willing to change.  

Earlier this week I realized that extensive, compulsive, and obsessive planning tends to be a barrier or stumbling block more often than not.  Although I do it thinking that I am opening the path to my future, preventing any delays, and avoiding any unexpected events, I'm actually taking away from the present because I'm so distracted with the future.

For example, I find I'm often so caught up with being efficient with school and my homework that I miss out on genuinely participating in my classes and with my classmates.  I'm always thinking of and planning what needs to be done.  I'm so caught up in what will take place next, after that class, after I'm done at the gym, after I'm done my homework, that I miss out on truly being present while I'm doing the actual task at hand.

Another terrible side effect of Planner-itis is how I miss out on the beauty of the unexpected.  For example, dating.  Perhaps I'm a freak, but I'll admit to ending relationships simply because I can't see the guy or the situation or the current route fitting into my plans.  I smother out the potential of the present with a narrow minded dedication to the future and my plans.  But the great thing about dating is that you are constantly filled with the butterflies of not knowing what the future holds for you and special someone.  For me, it's always just been moths nesting on my stone cold insides that are solely focussed on the pursuit of the future and my plans.

So, in an effort to combat my Planner-itis I will plan just one more thing.  I plan to follow this prescription as treatment.

RX:  No plans this week.
No thinking of the future.
And blog about it.

And that is all I plan to do this week.  
1 comment on "Put The Pen Down."
  1. well, honestly i don't think there's anything wrong with being a planning freak. that is, as long as you don't freak out when things don't go according to plan and/or if you let your plan take over Heavenly Father's plan for you. otherwise being a planner helps you accomplish things and can help you feel stable.

    ReplyDelete