16.2.12

2. Hear the Music

"What music?"

"And why does it say hear and not listen?"

That's what I thought when I first read "Way to Happiness" number two.

And then I thought about how while growing up it was just a fact that we never listened to the radio or any music in the car.  Didn't matter how far we were driving, us Gibbs drove there in silence.  And I wouldn't change that for the world.  I'm glad things happened that way.  Because I think this is what "hearing the music" might be about.

Driving without music forced us to:
  1. Make our own music.  I can remember entire drives to or from Hillspring where our family would sing the song "Down by the Bay" with our own crazy and unique rhymes.  
  2. Talk to each other and play games.  One of our personal favorite games was guessing exactly what time we'd arrive at our destination.
  3. Embrace silence.  I have absolutely no qualms with silence.  It's one of the most peaceful and comforting things out there.
I think "hearing the music" is about making your own, or the sound of a family getting to know one another and playing, or the melodies that arise from letting yourself embrace silence.  In order to be happy, you need to be able to listen to yourself and your surroundings and not always be drowning in other music or noise.

Oh!  And another type of music I love to hear is nature.  The hills really are alive with the sound of music.  Being in nature, or simply going outside, is one of the best types of music out there.  I miss the music of standing up here and looking out across this view.


And that is my best effort at trying to interpret "Hear the Music".  I could completely be out to lunch.  Go figure.

And...

Hope ya'll had a lovely Valentine's Day.  I know I did.  Jon is simply the best.


I'm a lucky scum.
2 comments on "2. Hear the Music"
  1. i love your interpretation of "hearing" the music. i agree! we leishmans drove in silence too (if you can call whining and screaming silence). and i love the music of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thoughts. Thanks Kristen... and glad you had a lovely v-day!

    ReplyDelete