31.3.13

A Qualitative Life

I have this bad habit of taking dorky science things and applying them to my life.  I can't help it.  But, to be honest, it actually helps me to better understand myself and life in general.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the types of "data" that exist.  Data is essentially the information you gather when doing research or what you harvest from experiments.  There are two separate and distinct types of data: Qualitative and Quantitative.  Rather than totally butchering the descriptions of each of them, here is a nice little table.

x

So how the heck have I been applying something random like this to my life?  Let me explain.

When I was 18 years old, my life became suddenly and strictly Quantitative.  The most important things in my life were numbers.  The numbers on my report card.  The numbers on the clock.  The number of kilometres ran.  The numbers in my bank account.  The number of calories going in.  The number of calories going out.  And most importantly, the numbers on the scale.  These numbers ruled me.  They dictated my emotions, they decided my actions, and they determined my success.  Without these numbers, I was nothing.  My most joyous moments and my most painful failures were all based on these numbers.

Was this a happy time in my life?  Only when the numbers were on my side.  And even then, when I had reached my goal, the numbers would betray me.  

So you got 94% on that assignment?  Think that's pretty good, eh?  Well, what about those other 6%?

You ran 10 km today?  That's nice.  Did you see how long it took you?  Yeah, over 55 minutes.  What a slow poke.

Happy you only ate 1500 calories today?  Well, don't be.  You still weigh 140 lbs.

Numbers were ultimately my best friend and worst enemy.  They were a way of life.  And whether I would admit it or not, I was absolutely miserable.

Fortunately, things have changed.  I'm not sure when or how, but they've changed.  Numbers aren't really that important.  They're only important when they need to be, like when it comes to budgeting or getting a good night sleep.  My life is no longer Quantitative, it's Qualitative.  I pay more attention to the things that actually matter, the things in life that "... can be observed but not measured."  I drink in the colours of a beautiful southern Alberta sunset.  I breathe in the scents of spring.  I pay so much more attention to how I feel, what I see, and what I hear.  For the first time, I feel like I'm truly living.

x

Life is meant to be lived Qualitatively, not Quantitatively.  Pay more attention to the quality of your life, not the quantity.
1 comment on "A Qualitative Life"
  1. As a research nerd, I wholeheartedly support this plan : )

    ReplyDelete