19.3.14

baby GIRL ruiz

Yup.  Jon and I are having a girl.  And when I found out I cried.  In fact, I was pretty miserable for an entire week.  How unbelievably spoiled and selfish of me, right?


Apparently it's a real thing for future parents to be a little put out by the gender of their child if they had high hopes for the opposite.  It's called "gender disappointment."

Anyways, in retrospect, I knew I would eventually have a daughter.  During my last pregnancy, the baby was diagnosed with Turner Syndrome, or Monosomy X.  This is a disorder where the pair of sex chromosomes only have one X chromosome (Boys = XY, Girls=XX, Turner's Syndrome X_).  Babies that make it full term with Turner Syndrome are ALWAYS girls, sterile girls, but girls nonetheless.  Shortly before I lost that baby, I found an article that really resonated with me by C. Jane called "The Hourglass Theory."  Essentially she shares a theory of the ability of a soul to be in transition between Heaven and Earth.  Whether it's true or not, it felt right to me and I loved it.  So when the time came to say "good bye", I knew it was really more like "see you later."  Which is why I knew I would eventually have a daughter.

Well, when this little girl of mine was confirmed, the tsunami of 25 years of my own gender disappointment came crashing over me.  Yup, you read that right.  I have struggled my entire life to be content with my gender.  Now, don't go jumping to huge conclusions.  I have always liked boys.  I've never wanted to change the body I was given.  But, dang, I just plum hated being a girl.  

So, a time of my life that should have been filled with excitement and shopping for adorable baby girl clothes was spent being super emo and writing out quotes like this one from "The Great Gatsby:"

I woke up out of the ether with an utterly abandoned feeling, and asked the nurse right away if it was a boy or a girl.  She told me it was a girl, and so I turned my head away and wept.  "All right," I said, "I'm glad it's a girl.  And I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

Just real uplifting stuff. 

There were other reasons too for my disappointment.  I grew up in a family of three girls.  Who wants to have a girl when girls are all you've been around?!  And then there was the name I had picked out for a boy that had to be put on the back burner.  Oh the shame!  And then there was the undeniable fact that I am just obviously more well suited to raise a son.  Right?  And I had co-workers telling me my food cravings were indicative of a boy.  And my sister-in-law told me she hoped I'd have a boy so my nephew could have a boy cousin.  And all of this was ruined.  It was just a horrible, horrible time in my life.

DISCLAIMER:  I really hope you realize that I'm being totally sarcastic and mocking myself right now.  Although all of those feelings were really REAL for a week, I am completely past them now and excited to raise a daughter.  However, remember how I have depression?  Seemingly silly things have the power to cripple me when I let them.  And I definitely let this become a much bigger deal than it was.  Depression isn't a static thing that you either have or you don't.  Although I may seem like I "no longer have depression," it is a dynamic part of me that has the power to rear it's ugly face when I'm weak enough to let it.

So, what the heck do I mean about disliking being a girl?  Well, at a very young, susceptible age, I became keenly aware that the role a woman plays in society does not merit the same kind of worldly glory men are lauded for.  And since I was an ultra competitive kid, I wanted to be esteemed as important.  Like Nacho Libre says, "I want just a little piece of the glory!"  It irked me that everywhere I looked and everything I heard made it clear that a woman belonged in the home, or that there were jobs appropriate for a woman to pursue, or that girls couldn't play football.  And this was my mind frame at the green little age of merely 9 or 10.  And it bugged me and made me irritated to be a girl.  But I could be a tomboy and hang out with boys and that made it okay.

Then came the changes that made it impossible for me to deny the fact I was a girl.  I sobbed inconsolably for an entire day and wouldn't utter a peep about what I was upset about the day I.... well.... yeah.  Then at school the boys I grew up with, my buddies, suddenly became more interested in flirting with girls and the fact that I was a girl playing sports with them at recess just got... well, awkward.  These injustices brewed an anger that only intensified my disenchantment with being a girl at the young age of 12 or 13.

Last came the curves and the changes to my little stick of a body.  My metabolism slowed down.  It eventually became obvious that I couldn't pack food back like I used to.  And all because I had this cursed female body.  This was the last straw.  This is where I decided to take a stand.  There was no way my gender was going to dictate this part of my life, there was no way I was going to blossom into a woman's body.  And so from age 16 to 22 I waged a vicious war, pitting my mind against my body.  You can't eat that!  Great, you've done it, you ate as much as a small elephant today.  You only ran 10 km?!  You're so useless.  I honestly believed that I was destined to become what my skewed mind saw as "fat," because I was a girl.  And it made me furious.  So I fought and I fought hard.

Well, at this point in time I'm happy to report that I'm in a much better place than I ever have been with my gender.  But it has taken years and it hasn't been easy.  I can't think of a more fulfilling job for myself than being a homemaker and mother.  I have a healthy body image.  But I still live rather disassociated from the fact that "I AM A GIRL."  I just choose not to think too hard about my gender and what it means to me and it keeps me happy.  But that didn't protect me from all of these old emotions and grievances being washed up with a vengeance when I found out the gender of my child.  After growing up with all these negative emotions surrounding the fact that I was a girl, it made me incredibly sad to think that this innocent little baby girl could be coming up against this same kind of adversity.  I didn't want to bring a girl into this world just to have her be as inconsolably disappointed with something irreversible like her gender.  Not to mention the fact of bringing a girl into the world at this time where promiscuity is praised and immodesty is attractive.  A world where social media brings a whole new meaning to bullying and judging and jealousy.  A world where "thigh gaps" and "bikini bridges" are highly sought after accomplishments.  Oh glory how I could go on.  It's tough to be a girl today, isn't it?  So aren't I a little justified to feel scared to have a girl?

Whether I'm justified or not, my feelings have definitely improved.  I'm excited to be a mother and I'm especially excited to have a daughter.  In fact, I had a dream where I had another ultrasound done and the technician said, "Oh wait!  Actually, you're having a boy," and I was actually really sad.  I want to have this girl and I want to raise her to be a strong, intelligent, morally steadfast and hard working woman, because Heaven knows that the world could use more women like that.  Although I've struggled with being a girl, it doesn't mean that she will or has to.
10 comments on "baby GIRL ruiz"
  1. I too was disappointed when I found out I was having a girl, but only for the reason that I have always seen myself as a "boy mom". But girls are seriously the best. I'm now scared to ever have a boy...

    "I want to have this girl and I want to raise her to be a strong, intelligent, morally steadfast and hard working woman, because Heaven knows that the world could use more women like that". Amazing. I completely agree! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I remember you felt really strongly that Audrey was a boy, but I had no idea you were disappointed. I'm beginning to realize that once the kid gets here, there's no way you can't be excited, boy or girl. I just have my fingers crossed that my kid is as cute as Audrey.

      Delete
  2. I knew it!!! As soon as you said you were disappointed, I guessed girl! ha. I had one of those disappointments . . . but it was with my THIRD girl . . . lol. I REALLY wanted a boy by then and was certain she was . . . nope. However, time goes on and your perspective changes, and you are just happy for a healthy baby. What would I do without my Hazel? I don't know. I would die, she is the best third girl I've ever had. ha.

    And after 3, I am finally getting my boy!!!! YAY. So there is hope, and you will raise a beautiful and wonderful daughter who is strong and knows who she is. She is lucky to have you. Congrats!!! oh yeah, send your boy name this way, I'm DYING trying to find one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally share my boy name, except it's my maiden name! So I don't know how much you'd like it? You could name your boy Jensen! Congrats again on your little boy! I'm sure his sisters are dying to meet him!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you struggled so long with your gender. That must've been really difficult, but it sounds like you're a better woman for it now!

    I figured when you said you were disappointed about the gender that you were having a girl. Honestly though, I'm so happy you're having a girl. I think you're so admirable and strong in so many ways and I can't wait for you to raise and teach a girl to be strong and powerful like you are. We need more women like you in the world! It IS tough to be a girl nowadays and that's exactly why one was sent to you. You're going to be such an amazing mom to this baby girl. Seriously. And I'm sure Jon will be an amazing dad too.

    For the record, I think you're totally justified in feeling disappointed about the gender for a while. Some people may think that you should just be happy to be having a baby period, but I disagree with that. Of course you're going to have hopes and expectations, that's completely normal. Good for you for getting over the "gender disappointment" so quickly though :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just the nicest! Thanks so much for being the nicest, most insightful commenter ever.

      Haha, it seems like everyone saw right through me and knew I was having a girl as soon as I said I was disappointed. That got me thinking about how it's kind of sad that girls are the disappointing gender. I wonder how often an expecting mother finds out she's having a boy and is disappointed.

      You're another strong and powerful woman who needs to raise a girl too!

      Delete
  4. Congrats Kristen! I liked your last line and think that says it all. Being a girl sucks sometimes. But. It's also kind of awesome. And you'll find that out soon enough when you hold your baby in your arms after all the contractions and pushing and crap. it's kind of amazing. Hopefully your nurse doesn't make you kiss your baby directly after. Three times. She was still all goopy and everything. Haha! But yeah. Raising those kids is kind of amazing. Well. Most of the time anyway....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you're kidding! And I bet by the time you're done labour and holding the baby you're so tired that you'll do anything to just make people leave you alone. Like kissing a goopy newborn. I wonder if I'll have the patience to handle a nurse like that haha.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the healthy pregnancy, the gender, just everything!
    As always, I appreciate your honesty while you write. That daughter of yours
    Will be proud to have a mother that was real, doing her best, and influencing others
    along the way. Girls rock. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom had a miscarriage before Chase was born and she said she was very emotional and upset and when she was struggling with it, she got an answer that she would still have that child, the body he started with just wasn't right for him that time and he needed a new one.
    Mom told me that she believes that she did get the child that she was carrying before.

    ReplyDelete