12.9.16

8 Minute Memoir - Day Four

Day Four - "Adventure"


I like to think I'm an adventurous person.  I've done some adventurous things in my life, like skydiving, cliff jumping, and so on.  But as I get older, I'm starting to realize that adventures really are in the eye of the beholder.  Lately, some of my favourite adventures have just been doing things as our own little family.  It was an adventure to pack up the girls and drive over Logan's Pass.  It's an adventure to go out to eat just with us and the girls.  Or go explore somewhere nearby.  So adventures really don't need to be a big deal like the word seems to imply.  In terms of big adventures, the most adventurous part of my life was probably when I lived in Waterton for a summer.  I really wanted to do all the hikes, so I did plenty of hiking by myself.  Didn't really make me nervous at all.  When I hiked to Rowe Lakes, I figured I could scale down the rock face from the upper lake to the lower lake.  I got maybe a third of the way down when my better sense started reminding myself I hadn't told anyone where I was, that I really had no idea what I was doing, and would really hate to get hurt and cut my summer adventuring short.  So I climbed back up.  Another day that summer I climbed Bear's Hump in the dark.  It was actually a little scary, but once I was back on my bike riding to the townsite, I was EXHILARATED!!  Another time I was running around Linnet Lake and noticed a bear cub to my right.  I stopped running and looked to my left to see a momma bear sending another cub up a tree.  I loved my days adventuring in Waterton.  I don't have the same amount of free time I once had for those types of adventures, fortunately, like I mentioned before, adventuring is in the eye of the beholder.  I could choose to think adventuring was only outdoor exploration by myself and thus be at a point of adventure drought, or I can choose to see the little things as adventures as well, which I think I do.  Today, my most common adventures are taking my girls out to explore, especially the ravine back in Tuscany.  I love adventuring with my girls.
1 comment on "8 Minute Memoir - Day Four"
  1. Umm you hiked bears hump in the dark!! GIRL, you're crazy lol!! Loved this post, and all your 8 minute posts! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete