25.9.16

8 Minute Memoir - Day Six

Day Six - "Games"


My favourite games are the ones I play with Jonby.  Heck, even the fact that I call my husband Jonathan "Jonby" is a game to me.  I love adding "-by" to the end of any word that will take it.  But I knew Jon and I were something special because of the games we play.  That's how we met.  We had been in the same institute class on Tuesdays for a few weeks and still hadn't said a word to each other, so finally I broke the silence by saying, "I beat you," after the teacher asked us to turn to a specific scripture.  And I had.  Things have stayed a game since.  Dating was fun because we had our games.  Doubles on a license plate = game.  On drive to visit my family, we'd each pick a type of vehicle and count them as we drove.  Whoever reached 20 first, won.  One of Jon's favourite things we ever did while getting to know each other was play fooseball.  Why?  Because I suck at it and am apparently quite funny to watch.  Anyways, that's how Jon chose to propose to me.  At a fooseball table.

Then there were/are all the games we make up on the spot.  Throwing the keys from one end of the hallway trying to get the lanyard to catch on the door knob was a game at our first home together.  Another favourite game is giving a horribly vague synopsis of a book or movie and the other person has to guess what it is.  Don't even get me started on naming the artist first while we listen to the radio.  That game went from fun to not fun and only because I'm a poor sport.  I was so used to winning and being undefeated, that when Jon started to absolutely school me at my speciality, I was desperate.  I can't even remember what I did, but that game was banned for a little while.  Silly Kristen.  The most recently invented game Jon made up on our way to church.  We were driving along when all of the sudden Jon says, "Guess what song this is."  He then proceeded to sing Selena Gomez's "Can't Keep My Hands To Myself," but in a very poor Spanish translation he was doing on the spot.  It was hilarious and he kept singing translations for me to guess for the rest of the drive.

1 comment on "8 Minute Memoir - Day Six"