1.4.18

Go Away Winter

Last summer I made a goal to write in a journal EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I have a Polaroid ZINC printer, so most entries also have a cute little photo taken from that day as well. It was a lot of work, but I did it all for one important purpose: so that when I reached TODAY, I could look at it.

What was today, you might ask? Today was the day I reached my breaking point of wishing winter would LEAVE US THE HECK ALONE!!! Last winter I barely managed to exist through a stupor of seasonal depression and I knew I needed to do something to prevent that from happening again this year. So I figured if I made a journal documenting every single day of the summer, I could look back on it for the strength to continue on until summer graced the planet again. There were a bunch of other things I did this winter that also helped with keeping the misery at bay, but when winter refuses to back the heck off, one can't help but have a day dedicated to despair. Here are some of the highlights from my little journal that lifted my spirits today.

















One thing that stood out while looking at the journal was remembering just how utterly EXHAUSTED I was by the end of last summer. I spent most of the summer pregnant and then caring for a new born. I made the trip back and forth from Calgary to Raymond more times than I care to count, sold a car, and bought a new van. I printed over 400 t-shirts and spent a fat chunk of time selling and delivering them to help fund a high school reunion, which I also helped plan and hosted at my parents house. My beloved Grandpa Gibb passed away and was honoured with the most beautiful funeral I have ever attended. Our family went on a fun little vacation to Baynes Lake at the very end of the summer. I hate to admit it, but I was actually a little relieved when summer ended because the constant need to be going and playing as hard as we possibly could was over. Which made me look at winter in a new light. If I didn't have these months to recharge and hate the weather, I probably wouldn't enjoy summer as much as I do. Summer means soaking in every single day and doing as many fun things as you possibly can in those few precious months. And without winter coming along and making me absolutely categorically insane with cabin fever, I probably wouldn't have the same sort of motivation to cherish summer like I currently do. With that being said, I'm pretty certain that I have had enough of THIS winter to make me really, really appreciate this summer. So.. uh... any day now, spring would be cool.




5 comments on "Go Away Winter"
  1. Wowza! What a blessing that journal is. I’m going to straight up admit that I actually read your journal instead of just looking at the photos of it. Ha! I agree with you about being a little okay with winter because it means summer is so extra special, but I also agree that I am So done with it. I started hyperventilating today that our Easter holiday wouldn’t be spent at parks and exploring outside because I’m sick of being cold! Guess it means more cousin play date oppounities though, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my journal?!?!?! Hahaha, I knew that would happen, so I made sure I only posted the pages that didn't have swear words.

      Delete
  2. You are my favorite! What a great treasure this little journal is. I hope you have another 75 of them in your lifetime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get to write more pages in these journals about hanging out with you!!!

      Delete
  3. I AM SO OVER WINTER!!!! What a beautiful journal and SO MUCH WORK!! You're going to love looking at that not only now but forever.

    ReplyDelete