12.12.10

Stranger Danger.

I grew up in a small town called Raymond.


Raymond is home of the Comets, the first Stampede, and ... umm the Show Choir.  Raymond is so small that everyone knows everything about everybody.  Strangers don't exist in Raymond.  

Just like all mothers, Raymond Mothers teach their kids not to talk to strangers.  I think it's in the Mother Handbook, in like the Mandatory Rule section along with "don't sit too close to the TV" and "don't swallow your gum".  Anyways, when you grow up being warned about something that doesn't exist, it's always way scarier, like the monster under your bed or cooties for example.


Anyways, I eventually moved out into the world of strangers.  Fortunately, I had the ammo to combat all of them, such as the "no eye contact maneuver" and the "look distracted feint".  Ha!  Take that strangers!

Just a week ago though, I was jogging.  Downtown along Memorial Drive.  There are a lot of joggers there.  Anyways, I came to a stoplight and had to wait for it to turn green.  While I was waiting, the next jogger behind me caught up and we both started up again at the same time.... AT THE EXACT SAME PACE.  Uh oh.


As soon as it was made quite apparent that we were going to be together for awhile, my new found elderly gentleman jogging STRANGER turned to me and said hello.  Oh shiitake mushrooms.

"Hi."

"Have you ever tried snow skating before?"

What the?!  He wants to have an actual conversation while we're jogging!?

"No."

"Oh it's great exercise, my kids and I were out doing it last night, it's like ..."

He kept going.  

Thankfully, I eventually realized that I could either choose to make things really awkward while we were jogging, or I could open up and have an actual conversation; I chose number two.  And I'm glad I did, we ended up talking a bit about what I'm taking in school and he offered some priceless advice into somethings I should check out in regards to work.  Whoa!  Talking to a stranger was COOL!

However, since this one event, I've had a few more experiences where I realized that I'm lacking some serious skills when it comes to talking to strangers.  Talking to strangers is actually a very valuable skill, think about it.
  • Being able to ask important questions in class to a teacher you barely know = talking to a stranger.
  • Group work (oh how I loath thee) = talking to a stranger.
  • Blind dates = talking to a stranger.
  • Job interviews = talking to a stranger.
  • Asking for or giving directions = talking to a stranger.
  • Ordering food, banking, buying stuff = talking to a stranger.
  • Missionary work = talking to a stranger.
No wonder I suck at all of these!  It's because I don't know how to talk to strangers!  

I hereby challenge myself, and anyone really, to practice your "stranger skills", and I don't mean practicing up on your weird talents like burping the alphabet backwards.  Make yourself make eye contact!  Make yourself smile at the people you walk past!  Simply say "Hello" and ask how someone is doing if you're going to be in the same vicinity for an extended period of time!  Make yourself start a conversation!  Make yourself extend a compliment!  Say "Merry Christmas" for heaven's sake!  Strangers are really just regular people like you and me, and they appreciate being treated nicely.  And sometimes, strangers in the strangest places end up not being strangers at all ;)

DISCLAIMER:

Obviously some strangers you should probably avoid.  Be nice, but keep your distance.  Unless of course you think being kidnapped from your bed and stuff sounds like fun.


MERRY CHRISTMAS!
2 comments on "Stranger Danger."
  1. HAHA!! totally had that happen before were ur running the same speed, its quite awkward at first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post! i love talking to other people and finding out about them.

    ReplyDelete