17.10.16

8 Minute Memoir - Day Nine

Day Nine: "8"

x

What I remember most vividly about turning 8 was the donut my mom accidentally did in the church parking lot on the way to my baptism.  Then I also remember the two presents I got: a set of scriptures (bible + book of mormon) and a binder.  I was absolutely ecstatic for my very own binder.  It even had dividers!!  Obviously I used the binder to organize the dealings I had with my secret club which was composed of my cousins and sister.  I was a taskmaster.  We had song practices, exercise to do, thank goodness I had those dividers to keep everything organized.  Our meeting place was the trees by Saralynn's Grandma's house.  We spent hours over there building and running and playing.  Of course we'd take snacks out there too.  A couple sleeves of soda crackers was all we needed for a great time.  Being 8 also meant school.  It meant riding the bus.  8 was probably how old I was when I discovered my kitten's little lifeless body on the side of the road at the end of the driveway when I had gone out to catch the bus.  Kassidy and I ran home sobbing.  My mom quickly calmed us from weeping and wailing to sniffles and tears just in time to shoo us out the door and catch the bus.  Of course, all the kids on the bus saw that ragged dead cat and were staring at it as we climbed on board.  "Look!  A dead cat!"  "Ew!"  "It was definitely hit by a car!"  My poor little heart was broken.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment