17.10.16

8 Minute Memoirs - Day Eight

Day Eight: "Birthdays"

x

I love the relationship/expectation I have for birthdays.  It is this: "They're just another day."  The last birthday I remember having any strong feelings about was my 12th birthday.  I was TERRIFIED to turn 12 and go into Young Womens.  What made matter monumentally worse was the fact that my parents were leaving on a trip.  It was a work cruise or something.  I was DEVASTATED.  My mom had always told us turning 12 would be the last age we could have a birthday party for, and here she was deserting me on my 12th birthday.  And she was going to be gone on a Sunday when I was supposed to go to Young Womens.  It was a horrible moment in my life.  Fortunately, I survived.  And then I learned the valuable lesson: "Birthdays are just ANOTHER DAY."  I had some very lovely friends who threw me a party.  And I even got to hang back in primary an extra week because I was scared.  All of this turned out to be excellent preparation for my 13th birthday.  I clearly remember waking up to no birthday banner or pancakes.  I made myself a bowl of cereal and proceeded to eat breakfast half asleep like my sisters.  Suddenly, Kassidy turned to me and asked, "Isn't it your birthday today?" - "Yeah."  Silence.  Probably because she was devastated by the lack of fanfare FOR ME.  "Happy birthday."  And then I got dressed and went to school.  Sometime between breakfast and the last class of the day on a Friday, my mom remembered the day.  She made a desperate attempt to win back my affections - just kidding - to redeem herself - haha, kidding again - and bought a few dozen donuts to my class and surprised me.  I think she was genuinely mortified.  Me?  I really wasn't too phased because I had been abandoned the birthday before and learned that birthdays were just another day.  Nowadays, I think my mom sleeping in, forgetting my birthday, and buying apology donuts is the best birthday memory I have!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment