21.11.16

8 Minute Memoir - Day Fourteen

Day Fourteen - "School Lunch"

x

When I was in grade one, the kids who stayed at the school for lunch had to sit on the floor against the hallway walls with all the other kids in my grade.  I thought the teacher who sat on a chair at the end of the hallway watching us must have felt so lucky to get to eat lunch with us.  Now I realize that they definitely took turns supervising lunch and it was probably the absolute worst duty to have.  One boy didn't usually stay for lunch, but the day that he did, he had a hard boiled egg in his lunch.  I'm pretty sure I started dry heaving, the thought of seeing him eat a hard boiled egg was too much for my young stomach.

When I was in the Northside School, which was from grades 4-6, all the kids in the entire school that stayed for lunch were shoved into the gym.  I remember bringing a styrofoam ichiban noodle cup for lunch once and having to stand in line forever to cook it.  When I finally had my turn, I totally zoned out waiting.  An older kid behind me in line had to tap me on the shoulder to point out that it had boiled over in the microwave.  It was humiliating and I'm pretty sure I cursed my mother a thousand times for sending me to school with a noodle cup for lunch.

In Junior High the school laid the smack down.  For some reason they made it a rule that if you were staying at the school for lunch you HAD to remain in the gym for the entire lunch hour.  This was probably to keep us from roaming around in the actual school and playing in the stairwells, but it seemed like major repression.  So I decided to strike.  I made a poster and marched around the gym.  But only for one lunch hour because after that they started bringing out the ping pong tables so after eating we would play ping pong.  I didn't feel so repressed after that.

As for lunch in High School, all I remember is that the cool kids ate in the foyer at the two tables.  I was terrified of the cool kids.  The show choir weirdos sat on the floor outside the band room to eat their lunch.  I was in show choir, but I did not categorize myself as a weirdo.  As I type this, I feel bad that those were my thoughts back then and really hope that I do not offend any of the said show choir weirdos if they happen upon my blog.  I apologize for what I thought of you.  In grade 12 I would eat my lunch in the computer lab with the yearbook committee.  It was a great time.  
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment