20.11.16

Eight Minute Memoir - Day Thirteen

Day Thirteen: "Your Most Important Hair Moment"


Honestly, I don't think I've had an important hair moment.  But I vividly remember a time that my hair actually upset my mother to the point of making her shed a tear.  When I was in grade nine I begged my mom to do my hair in sponge curlers.  My hair was short enough that when it was done up in sponge curlers in looked more like an afro than like cute little girl curls.  And I thought this was the coolest thing ever.  In retrospect, I'm willing to admit that I did look ridiculous, but the best kind of ridiculous.  Anyway, it's a Friday afternoon, I was rocking my sponge curler afro and I got my mom to drop me off at the Junior High because I needed to decorate for the dance that night.  When my mother drops me off she asks when I'll need her to pick me up.  I reply probably around 10:30pm, after the dance is over and cleanup is done too.  Upon hearing the news that the dance is actually TONIGHT and that I will be rocking said sponge curler afro to a dance, my mom becomes quite upset.  

"When are you going to get ready?"

I respond that I already am.  I'll be going to the dance exactly as I'm dressed then.  Curls and all.

If you were to ask my mom about the next part, she will deny it, say that I'm making things up, but I kid you not.  I have the memory of an elephant.  This has been etched into my memory.

Upon realizing that her daughter cared so little about her appearance, my mother teared up.  And me, being the considerate daughter that I am, said, "Okay bye," and had a spectacular time at the dance looking like Sideshow Bob.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment