18.2.13

A Little In"sight"

I've had some nifty encounters over the past two days and it feels as if I'm supposed to blog about it.  I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to say, or what I'm supposed to learn from these experiences, but I know something needs to be written down at the very least.


The first encounter happened on Thursday.  I'm in a class called "Intro to Writing Fiction."  The entire semester is to be spent writing a short piece of fiction which is then workshopped and critiqued by the rest of the class a couple of times.  On Thursday we critiqued a piece written by a girl named Mackenzie.  Her story was about a girl reminiscing while going through an old photo album.  As the story went on, it became clear that the girl was actually reading braille titles of each of the pictures and then remembering the scene and experience with her mind's eye.  She had been able to see while these past experiences occurred, but had gradually lost her sight until going completely blind.  

When it was my turn to critique the piece, I told Mackenzie that the main character needed to be a little more believable.  I couldn't imagine someone going gradually blind without having at least a moment or so of being mad or unhappy.  I suggested adding a picture with an experience the main character could look back on and remember how sad she was.  She nodded her head while looking at me and then jotted some notes quickly into her scribbler.

After the entire class and the prof had shared their suggestions, the prof couldn't help but ask why she chose to write about that.  Her reply stunned the class.

"This is actually going to be me in a few years."

She then went on to describe how at age 12 she was diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease by her optometrist.  He had told her that by age 20 she would be completely blind.  She said it didn't really phase her and remembers being annoyed with how emotional her mom acted during the weeks following this diagnosis.  

As we all sat there in stunned silence she continued by saying it wasn't until her 18th birthday that she realized that her impending blindness was a reality.  She reassured the class that she could see us, however, she literally had photo album at home where she had already placed braille titles since she could no longer see the pictures.

After hearing how calmly she shared this devastating story with the class, I was overwhelmed with her positivity and strength.  I felt so sheepish for the critique I just gave her on a story that was actually literally coming to pass.  I had just told her that the main character wasn't believable while there the actual main character was sitting with the same positivity and strength I couldn't believe!  I couldn't help but wonder if I would be able to handle the trial of a degenerative eye disease with the same grace and good attitude as this stranger in my class.


The next encounter happened the day after, on the Friday.  I picked up a co-workers shift and was lifeguarding a university kayaking class.  I had heard my co-workers talk about a certain girl named Megan in this class a few times before and now I actually had the chance to meet her.  Megan was the last person in her class to shuffle out of the change rooms when someone pointed her out and asked me to lead her to her kayak.  I knew Megan was blind, but after the experience the day before, I didn't want to jump to conclusions, as she could very well have some vision still left like Mackenzie.  It was neat to see her dexterity and independence while getting into her kayak and then completing her practical exam.  She had to have had some sight still left.

Before going home after work, I decided to take a few minutes to mess around on my phone.  As I was doing this, I heard the sweeping and shuffling noise of a cane and looked up to see Megan walking past me.  As she walked towards the exit, I couldn't help but watch.  After about a minute of being a creep, Megan bumped into a pillar that her cane failed to point out, so I decided it was time I spoke up to see if I could help her.

"Hey, it's Megan right?"

After getting her attention I introduced myself to her as one of the lifeguards that just worked during her class.  She shuffled towards me and sat down on the same bench as myself.  And we had the most amazing conversation.

I found out Megan was enrolled in the Ecotourism program, which meant she was required to take a huge variety of courses, such as rock climbing, canoeing, and a weekend wilderness survival class.  As we continued to talk, I found out she loved camping and hiking and had done some competitive downhill skiing.

Finally, I couldn't help but ask, "How much sight do you have?"

None.  With the same happy and laid back attitude, Megan told me how she had been born without eyes and the eyes she had now were literally plastic prosthetics.  I couldn't believe it.  This girl has not seen a day of her life, yet she has hands down lived a more active and adventurous life than me!  She blew my mind!

I couldn't help but tell her how much I admired her and how brave I thought she was.  We continued to talk until finally I needed to leave.  So I grabbed her hand and shook it and she responded with a big smile and one of the firmest handshakes I've ever had.


I can't stop thinking about these two girls and the wonderful experiences I had in meeting them.  It feels like I learned a thousand things from them, yet don't even know how to put one of them into words.  I guess it feels like both Mackenzie and Megan taught me how trials are supposed to be handled.

Mackenzie taught me how to gracefully accept the gradual onset of a trial.  Sometimes we know beforehand that things aren't going to turn out the way we've planned or expected them to.  No one plans to lose their sight.  And in my case, no one plans to have a miscarriage either.  Trials are not planned for.  However, trials can be accepted for what they are and we can adapt with the same positive attitude and strength that Mackenzie has.  We literally have that choice.

Megan taught me how to boldly accept a trial and refuse to let it stand in the way of anything.  Although Megan never planned to be born blind, she hasn't let that stop her from living a life that most people who can see don't even live.  Life never goes according to plan, but we each have the ability to choose whether or not these trials will stop us from being happy.

I'm so glad I met these girls.  And I wish I could do more justice in telling their stories and the lessons they taught me.


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment