23.2.13

Nostalgitis: A Fun Sickness to Have

I've been feeling quite nostalgic this Reading Week.  Maybe it's because I got to see an old friend last night before he took off to hang out with my little sisters.  Or maybe it's because I pulled out all of my old journals and have been looking through them.  Either way, it's been fun.

What is neat about this little bout of nostalgia is that it is completely side-effect free.  In the past, whenever I would get all sentimental about the way things were it was usually accompanied with a severe and acute unhappiness and an overwhelming desire to go back.

But not this time.  I'm happy.  I love where life has taken me.  And it is enjoyable to read and reminisce about the way things were and how far I've come.

I can't help but share a piece of the nostalgic journey I've been on during the past few days.  Enjoy.

Entry 1:

Age: unknown (there is no date)

Comments:  I can still remember this.  This was real devastating stuff.  I thought the world was over.

Probably written around the time I was dressing like Sailor Moon.


Entry 2:

Age: 13

Comments:  I believe I was trying to be a "Jedi" when this happened. 

I thought I was pretty B.A.


Entry 3:

Age: 16

Comments:  Another huge deal.  I didn't get to see the freaking boy I had a crush on because of this!!!

Beginning to ... "blossom"


Entry 4:

Age: 17

Comments:  I legit LOL'ed when I found this in my journal.  Thank goodness I write things down.

Okay, psyche.  Maybe I'm not starting to ... "blossom"


Entry 5:

Age: 18

Comments: By this time I was living in Edmonton.  And talking to strangers scared the living day lights out of me.
In case you do not know (because I obviously didn't when I wrote this) the "Reimans Center" is actually the "REMAND CENTER," which is a jail in Edmonton.  This means I gave the Book of Mormon to an ex-convict and had no idea.  I laughed pretty good at this one too.

Such a young and innocent thing.


Entry 6:

Age: 19

Comments:  After finishing the first year of post-secondary, us town kids brought some new found city friends down to see our home.  We thought it would be fun to walk through half constructed houses in the middle of the night.  I'm pretty sure they haven't been the same since.
Back from the city for the summer!  We are super cool.


Entry 7:

Age: Still 19

Comments:  I went to Peru!  This is probably one of my most favourite memories.  Eliud was a young man who our travel guide for a few days.  He was in the process of studying to become a priest for his church.
Pickles!  I don't have a picture of Eliud.  But this is the van we all rode in with him!


Entry 8:

Age: 20

Comments:  Opa is german for Grandpa.  That's what I call my Grandpa Wendorff.  I love him so much.
Taken around the time he passed away, my Opa loved studying war and history.


Entry 9:

Age: Still 20.

Comments:  Haha, talk about confidence.  I don't remember ever feeling as empowered as I must have felt when I wrote this!  But the funny thing is, I think it's totally true and more girls need to think this way.
Taken around the time I was "empowered."  It's nice to have a roommate who's a photographer.


Entry 10:

Age: 21

Comments:  This one broke my heart a little.  Remembering this about my younger self made me just want to go back in time and give her a hug.  Or really just any girl who feels this way.


Oh what this girl would have given back then to be "skinny" and "beautiful."


Entry 11:

Age:  Still 21

Comments: After reading this one, I think I was actually the weird one.


Yup.  I was definitely the weird one.  Poor guy.

After looking through all these fun journals all day, I feel exactly the same way I did last night when my really good old friend from my younger days pranced off with my sisters.  Content.  I have no regrets about my single younger days, and by no means do I regret leaving them behind to start an adventure with Jon.  I'm so glad I kept these journals so I can look back on each of these memories.  I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did.
4 comments on "Nostalgitis: A Fun Sickness to Have"
  1. This was so fun to read. It makes me want to pull out my old journals and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I flirted with your boyfriend Kristen, haha what a little slut I must have been. Mason, hahaha...that was hilarious. My old journal entries from elementary are ALL like that..DRAMA queen. And it makes me crazy to think you ever thought you weren't skinny and beautiful. Girls are just too hard on themselves. I hope you know better now...cause you're gorgeous and have always been sooo skinny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina you are the nicest. Because you called me gorgeous and skinny I hereby forgive you for flirting with my grade 4 boyfriend. Jokes, you have long been forgiven, in fact, that entry killed me, I hope it made you laugh too.

      Delete
  3. Oh. My. Heck. I thought I was the only one who was obsessed with Sailor Moon. But instead of dressing up like here, I just drew pictures of her and Tuxedo Mask and hung them up on the inside of my desk in 6th grade. I was pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete