2.1.12

2011.08.22

I only had one goal for 2011.  And I realized yesterday that I never even blogged about it.

It wasn't a New Year's Resolution.  It was more just the sheer determination to complete a specific task.  A hard task.  A real challenge.  My mind was made up that I would climb the Triple Crown in one day, no matter what.  I would have even hiked it alone if things came to that.  Fortunately they didn't.

If you're not familiar with what the Triple Crown is, it's a challenge extended to the hikers of Waterton Lakes National Park to complete three hikes within a summer.  The hikes are Crypt Lake (17.2 km), Akamina Ridge (21 km), and Carthew-Alderson (18 km).  Scott Leishman, Shawn Elford, and myself did all three of these hikes, in that order, in one single day.  And it was phenomenal.

Hiking the Triple Crown in one day was a great way to:

See the sunrise



Have a snowball fight in August


Be literally blown away


Be one with nature


Get to know two people really, really well


Hiking the Triple Crown in one day goes down as THE most epic adventure I have been on to date.  Although I got to share in such a wide range of experiences, I have to admit the best part of this day was coming to a realization of just how powerful a determination and resolve I can have when I set my mind to something.  A feat deemed nearly impossible by most was made child's play by a few people who allowed themselves to think it could and would be done.  

If anything, 2011 was the year that showed me the power of my own mind.  If I want to hike over 56 km in one day, I can do it.  If I want to ride my bike from Waterton to Raymond, I can do it.  Yet this strange power can work against me too if I let it.  If I want to be a drama queen, I can do that.  If I want to whine and complain about marriage, I can do that.  Whatever thought I let stew and brew in my mind is exactly what I can achieve.  My thoughts dictate my determination and persistence.  And at the moment, I'm realizing I need to seriously change my attitude in regards to planning a wedding.  I'm kind of being a really big whiner about that.  I'm sorry Jon.

So let 2012 be a year where I harness my thoughts, where I rid myself of the destructive and negative thoughts that hinder me from growing and going places.  2012, I come in peace.  And I simply CANNOT wait for May 4th to get here ...

2 comments on "2011.08.22"